Pages

Saturday, 19 October 2013

Just a cotton-pick kin' minute!

Hi all, how's your weekend going?  Things are a bit wet and gloomy here today.  So, the perfect sort of weather to get on with some long put-off jobs.

Do you have a sewing box full of cotton reels, getting in a massive tangle?  I did, so after a search of the World Wide Web a while ago I found a brilliant idea that I just loved, and I've been meaning to get it done for about two years.

Away Once again I forgot to take pictures of before and during, but here's the after...


The process was very simple really, except you need to be quite handy with a saw.  I'm not, but luckily I know a man who is!!

I bought the picture frame for £5 from a local shop, took it apart and using the back as a template went off to B & Q to find a piece of wood.  Most branches have a cutting section and you can either get a piece cut to size or buy an off-cut like I did, for £1 (was extremely pleased with this bargain) and cut it to size yourself, or, as in my case, get your hubby to do it.  After measuring my largest cotton reel I mapped out a grid and marked the centre of each box.  I then whacked in nails at a slightly upward angle.  Once I'd finished expressing my anger, I painted the bit of wood (had to do it this way round to cover up all my "drawing").  Once the paint was dry I tacked the piece of wood into the frame, and Bob's your mother's brother!  I can now see all my cottons and they're not all sitting in a big knot.

Just need to hang it on the wall now.

Hope you like.  Off to put the kettle on and my feet up.

Take care.
Hugs
Caz xx

13 comments:

  1. Great idea . . . but I only have 2 cotton reels! (Me and sewing do NOT like each other!).

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! A really clever design.
    I hope you are having a good weekend
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fabulous idea Caz.

    Laine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab Caz what a brilliant idea! huggles Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea and I can see a few old bobbin reels which makes it look interesting as well as being practical xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. what very neat idea and its always good to know a man who can help with those mundane bits ! looks great Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Caz..you are so clever. Love this project. hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea, it looks fabulous. I just showed Hubby, and he grunted and told me there was a saw in the garage!!
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea...beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a clever idea Caz - and so very useful - very impressed with your amount of cotton reels! Lol! Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great storage option...I love the shabby chic vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have sent a link to this post to dear hubby's PC in the vain hope that he will get the hint....LOL Great idea. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, they mean so much.